If you can smell gas or suspect a carbon monoxide leak, call the National Grid gas emergency helpline immediately on 0800 111 999.
In the event of an emergency
- Open doors and windows to ventilate the property.
- Do not smoke or light matches.
- Do not turn electrical switches on or off.
- Turn off the meter at the control handle, unless the meter is in the cellar.
- Call the National Grid gas emergency helpline (0800 111 999).
A National Grid engineer will then attend the property to make the appliance or pipework safe.
Once the National Grid are satisfied that your home no longer presents a risk to your health, I can attend to carry out any repairs that have been advised or to replace the dangerous appliance.
No not under any circumstances attempt to recommission the appliance yourself.
More information regarding carbon monoxide and gas safety in the home can be found on the National Grid website.